Deriviknit

The knitting blog by geeks, for geeks.

f'(knitting)=fun

Thursday, January 06, 2005

With Spring Just Around the Corner...

It's time to do some cleaning! I haven't been knitting for a year and I already have a disgraceful amount of yarn in this teeny house. My excuse: I'm slow. And...I cannot physically resist a good deal. Last week we went to the yarn factory outlet in Listowell and I found 10 balls of UpCountry in plum for $20 and 10 balls of some crazy eyelash stuff for $15. How could I resist? Indeed, I could not. What am I going to do with another 20 balls of yarn you ask? Well. The eyelash yarn I'm not so sure about. Somebody(s) will be receiving a pair of the monster slippers from SnB Nation which may take up quite a bit of it and the rest will be divided among other exciting projects that I haven't yet thought of. The UpCountry, however, is going to be my pet project. I have decided to design and knit a sweater with the help of Knitting in the Old Way. I am both scared and excited at the prospect of the project. There is a bit of a dilemma as to whether I should start the sweater immediately or whether I should get some little projects out of the way and thereby reduce the pile of yarn that is taking up the spare/sewing room. Tell you what, I'll get all of this silly stuff figured out in my head next time, instead of making you read it, okay?

Just one more thing about the sweater and then that's it until I have 'The Plan'. Mike is interested in the whole 'design' aspect of knitting (He refuses to learn how to actually knit even though he sometimes works nights and has nothing to do but waste perfectly good knitting time. But I digress.), but I think I'm going to try and make this sweater a 'joint' project. Do you think it could work? I usually try to involve him in the design aspect anyway by asking him math questions (That I could figure out on my own, but that kind of thing is pretty anti-social and I should probably talk to him every few hours, if he's around.) but with this it would be like a major get out the graph paper thing. Then I could convince him that I need a computer program for it and he would get all excited and write one and then we could start a business, him designing and Lisa and I knitting!! It would be awesome.

Reality Check. Whew, I got pretty excited there, sorry. In other news, Lisa added the 'Knitters Without Borders' button to our site. That girl is a smartie-pants, I tell ya. As well, we both received personal thank you notes from the Harlot herself. How exciting is that! Reading the DWB site really made me think. Disasters are happening all of the time and so many of them are not 'natural'. I have a great respect for people who go to countries and risk their lives for people who have such a hard life. I have it so good.

(Warning: Really bad segue and little rantlet)Which makes people in this city who say "We NEED a Wal-Mart" seem even sillier. I was very disappointed to read this article. It's not really surprising since the OMB is a big scam, but still disappointing. I don't have anything against Wal-Mart(I wouldn't shop there), but nobody NEEDS Wal-Mart and so much time and money was wasted because they wouldn't build according to the city's official plan. Personally, I think that it's cool that we don't have one. This is my personal opinion only and if you're a Wal-Mart lover, be honest, you could live without it.

4 Comments:

  • At 7:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Loved the post. There is no crying over lack of a Wal-Mart in this corner for sure. I just wanted to ask if the Knitters Without Borders button was supposed to take me somewhere else. It didn't and it didn't do so from Rebecca's blog either. Hmmmmm
    Keep up the great work girls.
    Mom

     
  • At 2:27 PM, Blogger laura said…

    hi there,
    wow, what a good deal on the UpCountry! Love that stuff. Word of warning, though - you'll probably need more than 10 balls for a sweater, particularly for one with heavy patterning like a gansey. Good luck!

     
  • At 7:12 PM, Blogger Denise said…

    That sounds just like me... finish the front and back and only have enough for half a sleeve. I'll have to figure something out. Thanks for the tip!

     
  • At 8:14 PM, Blogger Tanja said…

    WalMart is so over rated!! Support Canada and shop at Zellers!!!!!!!!!! They have a much better yarn selection anyways! heheee

     

Post a Comment

<< Home