Deriviknit

The knitting blog by geeks, for geeks.

f'(knitting)=fun

Wednesday, January 12, 2005

Just Supposin' I do This

Know how sometimes you have a big plate of spaghetti for supper and then after you feel like you haven't eaten anything? That's how I feel right now. I went ahead and finished those socks, since there didn't seem to be the overwhelming positive response to the toeless sock idea I presented earlier in the week.
B&L socks
I wore them all day yesterday and felt really guilty because wearing them will RUIN them. I don't think I'll ever make fancy schmancy socks because if plain old jane B&L wool socks make me feel guilty, how the heck could I ever wear Fleece Artist wool socks??

My new project needs some input from you, dear people. Sometimes when I am scrolling through blogs I see the writer has asked a question and not one person has put a response in their comment box. I find this very sad, but not sad enough for me to actually write anything. Although a few fine people did answer my toeless sock question (I do wish to thank them very much) so maybe I shouldn't be so worried. But for this question, don't be shy, and don't be like me, careless and thoughtless. I want your opinion, even if that opinion is "If you don't answer my question, why should I answer yours?" (Although, that would be more of a taunt than an opinion so I might tell you that your mother was a witch and your father smelled of elderberries in that case.) I want to make this hat (if you can't see it in the picture, it is a felted cloche from Knit One, Felt Too) using the Manos wool that I got for my birthday way back in September with some of the wool from Lismore.

cloche yarn

The problem is, I made a little felted swatch (against my poor judgment at the urging of my mother, because I would have just 'winged it') and I don't know if the colours are as nice now.

felted manos

The more I look at it, the more I think it is okay, but I'm not sure. If you have experience with felting variegated wool or you like/hate the picture of it felted, I would adore it if you would leave a little message. In the mean time, I'll be making some felted mittens out of some of my Patons Classic Wool.

6 Comments:

  • At 9:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I think it is just fine. It's hard to tell from the photo but the 'ball' seems to have a nice sheen. Did it retain that sheen when it was felted. The colours are still nice though.

    Mumbly

     
  • At 10:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'm not sure they're my kind of colours -- but they aren't in the ball, either. (Just a little pale for my tastes -- they're perfectly nice colours). I think the felted swatch looks fine, especially for a hat (again, a sweater like that might not be to my taste).

    Helpful, aren't I. ;) Well, at least I commented!

    Aven
    http://cast.off.net

     
  • At 4:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    This is kind of a cheating comment, because I am the only person other than the author to have seen both the wool and the felted swatch in real life. As of this moment (4:42am Jan 13/05).

    My personal feeling is that you lose some of the appeal of the variegation when you felt, and isn't that really what the Manos is all about?

    Who said that? Geeze, someone much less manly than me must have taken over my keyboard there and expressed feeling about Manos del Uruguay. I blame Lisa, and her Napoleon Dynamite movie.

    Mike

     
  • At 5:08 AM, Blogger Bridget said…

    I say no but I'm just a random commenter who can't knit or sew or cook or..., oh heck, don't listen to me! :)

     
  • At 10:22 AM, Blogger Rebecca said…

    It's quite pretty! The colours are all swirly and blendy, and it's quite pleasing to look at. (What's with my overuse of the word "pleasing" over the last few days? Geez...)

    I say go for it!

     
  • At 12:18 PM, Blogger lisa said…

    Felt it! Felt it! I can even chant that for you, if you want. It's hard to tell how the colours will turn out in the end project from the swatch, the variations in the yarn look different on a large scale than on that small scale. I felted my Manos hat (just a little, mind you, so that it would stop falling off my head), and I'm quite happy with the end result.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home