Deriviknit

The knitting blog by geeks, for geeks.

f'(knitting)=fun

Thursday, January 27, 2005

Deep Thoughts from a Short Brain

It has been so long since I posted that I almost forgot my blogger password. Actually, I'm surprised I even remembered it. Speaking of remembering, do you remember that manos hat I was going on about all that time ago? The colour part started off a little shaky. If most brain waves are sine functions, I had a cosine brain wave when I started following the colour chart. I started at the bottom right hand corner like a good little knitter, and read the first row. No problem. Once those six stitches were knit, I read the second row for the next six, and then the third row for the next six, and the fourth row for the next six, etc. I think I knit about 4 rows of the hat reading the chart like that before I realized that something was not right. It looked okay for most of it, but around my starting point there were some serious issues.
hataccident

Looking back now I feel very silly but at the time it really did make sense. I also made a pair of felted mittens which were much less uneventful than the hat. I felted them both on Sunday evening and I am very pleased with how they turned out.

chapeau and mitts

I haven't worn them out in the cold yet but I am itching to, just to see how they perform. Speaking of short brains, it's lucky that I have such a teeny head, otherwise the hat would not fit!(Perhaps I'll post a picture of me in it some day!) We had to stretch it out over a round plastic container (which gave it a nice flat top and shape) so that it would fit me. I don't understand how it is supposed to take several trips through the washing machine to felt stuff. These things were in the machine for less than 10 minutes and I had to stretch them out because I didn't check them soon enough and they over-shrank. Maybe I'm using hot water instead of warm? Maybe the 'laws of physics don't apply in my washing machine' (I love My Cousin Vinnie) I don't know.

My prochaine project (Project Bruin) is a pair of mitts for my dad. It's his birthday next week and two weeks ago when we saw him, he commented several times on how he had received a hat for Christmas when he already had two perfectly good hats. BUT he has no mittens and didn't get any. He's a very subtle person.

4 Comments:

  • At 8:07 AM, Blogger lisa said…

    Nice knits! Those mittens are awesome - is the pattern from the same book as the hat? I need to make myself a pair of those.
    The felting speed - Manos is fast (as you're well aware), I took my Manos hat into the shower to wash it, and it felted by hand in no time flat (luckily it was too big and I wanted it to be a little smaller). I found that Patons Classic was fast, but not too fast, in that one trip in my washing machine did the trick. But, I've also felted Philosopher's wool (it definitely still had lanolin in it) and it took five frustrating trips through the washer.

     
  • At 10:23 AM, Blogger Rebecca said…

    *ahem*
    Cosine, secant
    Tangent, sine
    3.14159!
    Goooooo Denise!

    Thanks for the suggestion about what to get/make Dad. I finished up a mitten for myself in no time flat (I'm still working on the other one). I may bring some projects to felt when I'm at your place in March - it's too hard to felt things in a coin-operated machine (not to mention expensive!)

     
  • At 8:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    What a great hat! I wasn't sure when you told me that you were mixing yarns but that is stunning. It would not be nearly as clever with only the Manos!
    Mum's the word

     
  • At 12:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    It's not really anonymous, it's me - Lisa
    What did you make the felted mittens out of? I really like how the felting turned out on them.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home