Deriviknit

The knitting blog by geeks, for geeks.

f'(knitting)=fun

Sunday, December 05, 2004

Done in 60 Seconds

I had put the book Last-Minute Knitted Gifts on hold at the library a few weeks ago and yesterday they called and told me it was finally back! It is divided by the about of time it takes to knit the projects. There are less than two hour, two to four hour, six to eight hour, and more than eight hour projects. I was quite disappointed to see that there are no 'less than one minute' projects. I guess most people don't want to give presents that are crap. The projects that are in the book don't seem to be crap, but they have pot holders knit with Manos wool. Is that kind of extravagant? I guess if you are going to give a gift like a dinky little pot holder you might as well make it out of wool that is worth something.
It has been a kind of frustrated incorporated week of knitting around here. I knit a headband to match the wool/mohair mittens I finished on Tuesday. When I finally finished it, I discovered that it is too small to fit on even my pin-head, let alone the head of the intended recepient. My mother helpfully suggested I give it to them for their dog to wear but after working on the thing for 3 whole nights, that was not as helpful as she maybe intended. I used this pattern which seems to have some misleading information; namely it tells you to knit on one side and purl on the other even though you are knitting in the round. After starting and frogging twice I made a desperate call to Lisa who told me the pattern was lying (Thanks Lisa!) and that when knitting in the round there is no 'wrong' and 'right' sides. Plus, I had been reading the chart right to left and then left to right, which was also incorrect due to the whole no 'right' and 'wrong' side thing. I should have been able to figure that out myself, but luckily God gave us Lisa's to help with things like that!
I started a pair of socks on Friday for an unnamed man in my family, however after finishing the heel today I looked at the sock and realized that it is not going to fit ANY man, let alone one in my family. This was quite a frustrating discovery, so much so, that I poured myself a stiff drink (orange juice and grenadine) and have allowed myself to break my own cardinal rule. I am starting a new project without finishing the last one. I have justified it by telling myself that I will keep it for myself when it is finished and I can't be making myself things this close to Christmas, so I HAVE to stop working on it. I am about to start this bag using the lett lopi I bought last weekend. News at 11.

5 Comments:

  • At 10:25 PM, Blogger lisa said…

    Hey Denise -
    the bag you're going to make is nearly the exact same pattern as the Sophie bag I made, except it's 14 rows taller, and the handle is a little different.
    And, I made a hat of the Lett Lopi I got last weekend, and felted it by hand on Friday, and it felts really well.

     
  • At 6:26 PM, Blogger Denise said…

    I actually noticed that it's the same pattern, but not until after I was well into it. Since I am only using the instructions as 'suggestions', it may not turn out looking like either one!
    I'm glad to hear it felts well. I'm wondering if you know approximately how much it will shrink, do you know the percentage? Just curious.

     
  • At 8:31 PM, Blogger Cookie said…

    I like Last Minute Knitted Gifts. I went to a yarn store opening that had a bunch of projects from the book knitted up. There was a bunny with angora ears that was so cute, but definitely on the extravagant side...

     
  • At 10:32 PM, Blogger Denise said…

    Oh dear! Don't get me wrong, I also think it's a great book. There are some really simple, but beautiful projects. I was just being silly but should have also mentioned that I like it.

     
  • At 8:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'm wondering if the hairband wasn't supposed to be in garter st., which, if you're working in the round, would mean you have to knit one round and purl the next. Just an idea.

    Barbara

    http://sermomknits.blog-city.com/

     

Post a Comment

<< Home