Deriviknit

The knitting blog by geeks, for geeks.

f'(knitting)=fun

Sunday, November 28, 2004

Yarntastic!

Note: Remember last Saturday when I said I would post pictures 'tomorrow'? I really meant 'sometime in the future'.

Ditto what Lisa said! We had such a great day; wool shopping, lunch by the river in Paris with a view of the Eiffel tower (Alright, it was painted on the ceiling of the restaurant and I thought it was a bridge at first, but Carol cleverly pointed it out that it was the Eiffel tower. That's not really fair though because she's seen it in real life.), glorious sun shine... it was perfect! I found some Briggs and Little sock wool and mohair at Grand River Yarns that I have already started knitting! I also got some more of the Fleece Artist roving for more thrummed items. The selection there really was good and the prices were very reasonable. I would definitely recommend it! You can see from the picture that I am making mittens out of the B&L and Mohair. They are so soft and the colours are beautiful. They are being made as gifts, but seriously, I could keep them. My mother has predicted that I am going to end up with a different pair of mittens for each day of the month. Would that be wrong? I finished the thrummed mittens on Saturday morning and I am very pleased with them. I was surprised though that I used almost the entire skein (is that the right term?) of Fleece Artist roving. I thought there would be leftovers, but I guess I just made them extra fluffy!

As Lisa mentioned in her post, we got some good deals on wool at Lens. I also got some of the Classic wool for felted mittens and maybe a pair of cable-backed mittens. As well, I got some Lett-Lopi in some very lovely shades. It's kind of scratchy stuff, but the colours are so pretty I think they will make some felted bags that I also won't want to give away.

I feel I should also give a heads-up to anybody who is related to me, reads this blog, and typically gets a Christmas present from me. YOU ARE GETTING SOMETHING KNITTED FOR CHRISTMAS. Unless you knit, and then you're NOT getting something knitted because you can make it yourself, darnit!

3 Comments:

  • At 9:51 AM, Blogger Cookie said…

    Oooh, yarn! Have you tried the Fleece Artist sock yarn? I've seen pictures, and they are tempting, but I've never felt the actual thing. Would it be possible for me to convince you and Lisa to do a yarn expedition while I'm in Toronto next month? Or if you're busy with the holiday season, yarn store recs would be greatly appreciated. Whee, yarn!

     
  • At 12:27 PM, Blogger lisa said…

    hey c - I think that anything Fleece Artist feels amazing. The thrum sock kit has the same fibre in it as the thrum mitt kit - it feels like a cozy pillow on your hand! Do you know when you're going to be in Toronto? I have to visit all the family during the Christmas week, but will be around the city at least a bit.

     
  • At 1:27 AM, Blogger Cookie said…

    We're going to be there the 21st to 28th, but I think we get in late on the 21st and leave early on the 28th. We should be renting a car, so I am definitely up for a yarn store field trip of the area. Xmas should be busy for us as well, but I think the 22nd and 23rd are open. And probably the Monday after as well.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home